July 8th, 2008
The YarnCraft podcast is a half-hour radio show in which my co-host Liz and I share pattern recommendations, crafting ideas, stories, and interviews on all things knitting, crocheting, loom-knitting, crafting and more. Every two weeks, we come to you from the Lion Brand Design Center in New York with a new episode, but you can download and listen to each episode anytime you want from the YarnCraft blog.
In episode #18, “Knitting & Crocheting on the Go”, our Stash This: Ideas for Your Crafting Life segment concentrated on washcloths and dishcloths–those easy-to-make, travel-friendly projects that never go out of style. Listen to the episode [mp3] for pattern recommendations, and in the meantime, here are just a few tips:
- Practice new stitches. Since dishcloths and washcloths are fast, easy projects, they are the perfect opportunity to practice new stitches and techniques that you’ve always wanted to try. Check our StitchFinder for ideas or subscribe to our newsletter which will be featuring a brand new series of the ever popular Stitch of the Week, starting this Friday.
- Experiment with color. Washcloths and dishcloths also afford you the ability to play with color (try our Bauhaus Washcloth patterns). If you don’t like the combination, don’t worry! They will still wash dishes just as well.
- Swatch a sample. Whether you want to practice a motif (like the Twin Trees in the Tree of Life Afghan) or you just don’t want your gauge swatch to go to waste, you can make an oversize swatch that can double as a washcloth or dishcloth!
- Make a set. It’s easy to make multiples of these quick-finish projects. Pamper yourself or someone you love with our beautiful bath collection patterns or just make dish or washcloths for every day of the week.
- Take them on the go! Our basic dishcloth patterns are perfect for travel knitting or crocheting. They also make great host/hostess gifts if you’re visiting friends or family!