August 19th, 2010
Like many knitters & crocheters, when August rolls around, I’m already thinking about what to make for fall. Taking a cue from designer/model Mandy Coon–whose fall collection includes oversized, bold, stockinette stitch arm warmers (left) and scarves–I thought it might be fun to make some oversized items that are quick to knit or crochet up!
I took a quick browse through the Lion Brand Pattern Finder to pull up some oversized patterns for inspiration.
Here’s a list of just a few of the patterns that I found (Click the highlighted text to see the pattern on LionBrand.com; must be logged into LionBrand.com to view patterns):
- Knit Fall River Scarf: big stockinette stitches make this simple scarf bold; very similar to Mandy Coon’s look.
- Knit Jumbo Cable Scarf: eight strands of Vanna’s Choice held together and worked as one makes for a really huge statement.
- Crochet Whoosh Scarf: seven strands total, give this V-stitch scarf a really chunky, graphic look.
- Crochet Glam Statement Scarf (right): I love how this glittery scarf/wrap gives a pop to any outfit!
- Knit Triple Play Scarf: not for the faint of heart, this scarf takes “oversized” to another level.
- Crochet Bubblegum Scarf: big bobbles are made with five strands of a shocking fuchsia make for a lot of look.
- Knit Dobbs Ferry Cowl: made with three strands of Wool-Ease Thick & Quick, this cowl makes a strong statement, but also very wearable.
As you can see, with just a couple of strands of yarn held together and worked as one strand, you can get a totally graphic look out of even the most basic stitches.
Via The Cut.
Have you experimented with multiple strands of yarn? What do you think of big, bold statement pieces like this?
|Subscribe to our channel on|