July 13th, 2012
Center-pull balls of yarn are convenient to use and to store, and are perfectly easy to make! Rest assured: if you can wind yarn into a regular wrapped ball, you have all the skills it takes to make a center-pull ball. Use this one trick to keep your yarn safe and tidy in storage, and stop it from bouncing all over the floor as you work!
Yarn: Skeins, wrapped balls of yarn, spools and hanks can all be wound with this method. If you’re winding yarn from a hank, you’ll need a swift to keep it spread out (or a volunteer to hold it spread out as you work). For this tutorial, I used a skein of Alpine Wool in Olive.
A smooth, sturdy winding tool: I like to use a thicker-gauge crochet hook or long knitting needle. You could use a pen or a pencil in a pinch, they just have to be clean, sturdy and smooth.
1) Tie a slip knot in the end of your yarn.
2) Tighten this slip knot on your winding tool. I like to pull this slip knot tight in the hook of the crochet hook, or high up toward the end of the knitting needle, to keep it out of the way.
3) Hold your yarn against the winding tool with your thumb, and wrap it around the winding tool several times near the end as shown.
4) Continue to wrap yarn around these first clump of wound yarn, criss-crossing as you work from time to time as shown. This should feel just like winding a regular wrapped ball of yarn, only this ball of yarn has a winding tool poking out of it.
5) Continue in this fashion until all your yarn is wrapped, then tuck the end into the ball under a few strands to secure it.
6) Still holding that first bit of yarn between your thumb and the winding tool, gently ease the tool out of the ball.
7) All done! The end with the slip knot in it will now be the start of your next project, and yarn will pull from the center of the ball with ease!
What yarncrafting or organization tips would you like to learn in a tutorial like this?
Let us know in the comments section!
- About Yarn: How do I find the end of the skein or ball?
- Tips and Techniques: How do I start a skein?
- Tips for Using a Yarn Swift
- How to Wind a Wrapped Ball of Yarn
|Subscribe to our channel on|