July 8th, 2013
A flattering outfit can make you feel more confident and at ease. For plus-sized women, structured pieces, prints proportionate to your body, and details that emphasize your strongest assets can help you to look your best. For petite women, pieces that hit your body at the right places will help you look great. Discover some of our favorite tips.
|Here are a few key tips on looking your best, as well as a few great patterns for you:
- Focus on your best assets. Our Flattering Sweater has detailing under the bust area, which helps to draw the eye to this area–which is where the body cinches in and is thinnest for many women.
- Avoid shapeless clothing. Structured pieces look best on different body shapes, while clingy clothes stretch and pull over unflattering areas. Look for pieces with shaping that helps to balance out your body proportions.
- A good way to determine which size sweater to make is to measure a garment that fits you well. Compare the measurement you’ve taken with the finished bust sizes offered in the sweater pattern and choose the closest match. Remember to allow a little extra ease if you’re using in a thicker yarn like Homespun.
- For petite women, choose sweaters (like our Matinee Swing Jacket or Simple Raglan Cardi) that hit you at the waist–they will look best on your frame. Overly long pieces will make petite women look shorter; longer sweaters and jackets are best for taller women.
- Choose simple pieces without too many embellishments; big buttons and prints will make you look too busy. Our Vintage Tie Jacket adds a little interest that draws the eye up to your face, while keeping it simple.
- Don’t be afraid of color! Black isn’t necessarily your most flattering color; in fact, it may wash you out. Wear colors that complement your skin tone. Dark colors and monochromatic outfits are also flattering.
- Choose patterns that are in proportion to your body. Our Flattering Jacket is made in Homespun, which stripes up in a way that’s flattering on most women.
- A V-neck or cardigan like our Beach Pullover and Beach Cardigan will help to elongate your shape and draw attention to your face.
- Pair your cardigan or sweater with a shirt in a contrasting-color to add interest.
- Wear clothes you love! The more comfortable you are in your clothing, the more other
people will notice your confidence!
|Crochet Beach Pullover
in Nature’s Choice Organic Cotton
|Knit Flattering Sweater
in Vanna’s Choice
For more tips on making flatter garments, check out these blog posts:
A version of this article first ran in The Weekly Stitch newsletter in November 2007. Click here to sign up for the newsletter and get articles, free patterns, and exclusive offers in your inbox each week.