Lion Brand Notebook

News, Ideas and Information for Crafting with Yarn

Image frame

Archive for the 'Community' Category

Crafter Stories: Crocheting at the Cafe

August 5th, 2013

Pin It

Crafter Stories: Crocheting at the Cafe | Lion Brand NotebookLast week, we brought you a few stories from our readers about their experiences knitting and crocheting in public. Today, we want to share a longer story from Jessica Leete of Orchard Park, NY.

I often spend my weekend mornings at the local Starbucks for a few hours, enjoying my specialty coffee while working on my most recent crochet project.  Although I love the coffee shop atmosphere, it can often get quite noisy as well, so I usually also bring my laptop and earbuds so I can listen to music or play a TV episode in the background to help drown out the noise.  As a result, I am often zoned into my project, completely oblivious to the sounds and activity around me.    

On a number of occasions, I have looked up from my project to find someone sheepishly standing right in front of me, who has undoubtedly been clearing their throat a few times to get my attention,  while I unaware, had been crocheting away.  

I quickly pull my earbuds out and apologize that I hadn’t heard them.  On most occasions, it is a a woman who simply wants to pass on a compliment regarding what I am ‘knitting’.  I always give a big smile and a ‘thank you’, while politely clarifying that I am actually crocheting, but reassuring them that they are quite similar and easily confused.  I love these small chances to spread a little knowledge on these two crafts and their differences.      

In one instance, I was actually addressed by two guys from the adjacent table.  The one looked at my project and said, “You are crocheting, right?”  Impressed, I replied with “yes” and a smile.  He continued that his grandmother used to crochet all the time when he was young and that he didn’t know crocheting was done any more.  

I definitely had to stifle a laugh.  I told him that crochet is still around and actually becoming quite popular recently.  I loved the opportunity to increase the awareness of my craft.    

My favorite instances though are when kids are around.  They don’t just stare, but they come right up to my chair and stand next to me watching my every yarn over and draw through.  They cannot help themselves—they are just so curious to see something they never have before.  The parents are always embarrassed and try to call the kids away, but I quickly intervene and assure them it isn’t a problem.  I happily answer any questions they have and show them step by step how I complete each stitch.    

(more…)

Crafter Stories: Knitting and Crocheting in Public

July 29th, 2013

Pin It

Crafter Stories: Knitting and Crocheting in Public | Lion Brand Notebook

A little while ago, we asked you—our blog readers—to share your stories with us about knitting/crocheting in public. From making new friends to delighting strangers, you shared your experiences.

Here are just a few of the submissions we received:

I knit on the “L” in Chicago pretty regularly and it’s not unusual to get a comment or question from a stranger. But one time in particular I really broke the ice when my ball of yarn fell out of my bag and rolled all the way down to the other end of the car. Everyone burst into laughter because it was so unexpected and from then on the whole mood of the car changed. Everyone was talking to me, and to each other, and there were a lot more smiles the rest of the way home.
- Christine Renee, Chicago, IL

(more…)

Designer Spotlight: Lily Chin’s Versatile Styles and Skills

July 21st, 2013

Pin It

Designer Spotlight: Lily Chin | Lion Brand NotebookSomething I love about working in the yarn industry is all of the creative people you meet. Working with designers, artists, and writers constantly inspires me. One of my favorite people in the industry is extremely prolific designer Lily Chin.

Look her up on Amazon.com or Ravelry and you’ll find dozens of books and individual designs, ranging from accessible accessories to complex cables—reversible, no less!

But don’t take my word for it! Here are a few podcasts and videos from our collections featuring interviews with Lily herself:

Want to make your own Lily Chin original? Here are a few patterns she’s designed for Lion Brand that I think are awesome summer projects:

(more…)

Learn Skills Online with Craftsy & Lion Brand!

July 18th, 2013

Pin It

betwee_takes

Do you love the tutorials and how-tos here on the Lion Brand Notebook? If so, you’ll be excited to hear that we’re partnering with Craftsy–the online education experts–to bring you knit & crochet classes the Lion Brand way! Look out for more info later this year!

Here’s a sneak peek at one of the classes we shot earlier this year…Can you guess what it’s going to be?

Sign up for our Weekly Stitch newsletter or keep an eye here on the blog for announcements later this year!

Save Up to 75% Off Online Classes

In the meantime, save on Craftsy’s online classes during their Sweet Summer Sale. Starting today, save up to 75% off select classes. Click here: http://lby.co/195f99E

Check their site each day through this Sunday (July 21) for different online class offerings!

Today’s selection of classes only lasts until midnight, so be sure to sign up and save on your favorites today then check in tomorrow for new online classes on sale. Get unlimited lifetime access once you sign up and learn on your own schedule, in your own home!

Lion Brand Yarns Spotted at Fashion Institute of Technology’s 2013 Fashion Show

July 3rd, 2013

Pin It

Every year, the Fashion Institute of Technology’s (FIT) graduating seniors attaining a bachelor of arts in fashion design collaborate to present handmade collections for a professional runway show in New York City.  Lion Brand has provided yarn for the knitwear design students over the years and is always proud to be part of such an inspiring and creative event.  Lion Brand has been a long time supporter of FIT, and in 2009, a seminar room specifically designated for knitting, crocheting and jewelry making was dedicated to the late Isidor Blumenthal, Lion Brand’s 3rd generation President and CEO.

This year, I was able to attend FIT’s “The Future of Fashion: 2013 Graduates Collection“, and I was amazed by the designs that came down the runway made by students who will someday be fashion designers.  It was so interesting to see how yarn used to make everyday garments and accessories can create high-fashion and out-of-the box designs.  The specializations in the show included sportswear, special occasion, knitwear, intimate apparel, and children’s wear.  Below, you’ll find some images from the seniors who worked on the knitwear collection.

FIT garment
Designed by: Heidi Bischoff
Grey dip-dyed dress with thick & thin hand weaving detail
LB Collection Silk Mohair was used in parts of dress.

FIT garment2
Designed by: Danielle Ridarick
Black & Blue Hand Knit Sculptural Dress
Martha Stewart CraftsTM/MC Mambo

FIT garment5
Designed by: Jongsuk Park
Off-white chunky cotton cord hand-knit jacket, harem pant
Lion Cotton 1 Pound Cone used in head cover

FIT garment3
Designed by: Nora Abdelwahed
Grey dip-dyed cotton cropped tank,
striped skirt with weaving detail
LB Collection Silk Mohair used in skirt
Wool-Ease used in top

Have you seen any interesting knitwear in fashion lately? Share with us in the comments!

Related Links:

In Your Words: Readers Share How Knitting & Crochet Make Them Better

June 27th, 2013

Pin It

One of the most wonderful things about knitting and crochet is how these crafts enrich our lives. The video above was inspired by you, our blog readers, and we hope that you’ll continue to share your comments below about how knitting and crochet affect you every day.

Lion Brand Wins An Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of the Year Award!

June 21st, 2013

Pin It

David Blumenthal (President/CEO) and Dean Blumenthal (EVP/COO) have won the prestigious Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year® 2013 Award in New Jersey in the ‘Family Business’ category.  What perfect timing! Just as we celebrate our 135th anniversary.  It means a lot to us to be recognized by such an influential global corporation, especially since we’ve come a long way in five generations from a pushcart on the Lower East Side of Manhattan!  For a look inside the company today, see this video: About Lion Brand Yarn Company – 135th Anniversary Special.

(Left to right: David Blumenthal & Dean Blumenthal)

“Being recognized by a prestigious organization like Ernst & Young is such an honor for our 5th generation family business. I’m grateful for the leadership of our fathers who mentored us and taught us by example, and for the expertise and devotion of all our associates.”
-David Blumenthal

Congratulations to David and Dean Blumenthal!

Related Links:

Lion Brand on the Road: Upcoming Events

June 20th, 2013

Pin It

One of the best parts about working at Lion Brand is meeting our amazing customers and hearing what you have to say about our products, patterns, and community. Working in the yarn industry, many of us travel and meet knitters and crocheters across the country, and I often get asked, “Will Lion Brand be at an event near me? I’d love to check out your new yarns in person!”

Earlier this year, we had a ton of fun at Stitches West in Santa Clara, CA and Vogue Knitting Live in New York, NY!

In the second half of 2013, we’re proud to sponsor and have booths at these upcoming shows and events:

Upcoming Knitting & Crochet Events

kcshowKnit & Crochet Show
Indianapolis, IN
July 17 – 21
Click here for more info.
Lion Brand fans can get this exclusive coupon (or book with this code online: LionBrand11113) for discounted admission to the marketplace .

Stitches Midwest
Schaumburg, IL
August 8 – 11
Lion Brand fans can get 20% off classes and events with the coupon code: LBM13.

stitches

Knit & Crochet Show
Charlotte, NC
October 2 – 6

Stitches East
Hartford, CT
November 7 – 10

Stop by the shows above to check out our exclusive LB Collection, as well as new products–all at show-special prices.

We’re also proud to be a sponsor of many regional knitting and crochet festivals across the country, and we hope you’ll check online for events in your area. Click here for a helpful calendar from Knitter’s Review.

While we don’t have the staff and resources to be at every show and festival, we always love hearing from you, so we hope you’ll continue to share your thoughts here on our blog and through our pages on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

Get Your Stitching and Pitching On This Baseball Season!

May 8th, 2013

Pin It

If you’re anything like me, you probably think an event of any sort that actively encourages hours of knitting or crochet is the best kind of event. Though I have some sort of yarn-craft project going during every baseball game we watch or attend, few days are more exciting to look forward to during the baseball season than Stitch ‘n Pitch days. If you’re not already familiar with Stitch ‘n Pitch, it’s a series of events put on by TNNA–The National NeedleArts Association–that encourage all needlecrafters to come on out to Major and Minor League Baseball games for “the perfect double play”. Crafters sit together in dedicated section and spend the game making new friends and often get the chance for special giveaways. The Stitch ‘n Pitch season kicked off in Atlanta on Saturday, May 4, and the next game scheduled is with our hometown team, the New York Mets!

Mets Stitch ‘n Pitch at Citi Field, Flushing, NY (vs. Pittsburgh Pirates)
Saturday, May 11
1:10 pm
Click here for tickets

Discounted tickets in the Promenade Reserved section are available for $25 each, and–perhaps best of all–the first 1,000 attendees to purchase tickets will be receiving this really awesome limited edition Mr. Met Knitting bobblehead. I’ll admit I’m biased, as a Mets with a growing collection of bobbleheads, but I think it’s pretty cool to see a team mascot crafting!

(more…)

Katie Couric Interviews Vanna White–and Learns to Crochet!

May 2nd, 2013

Pin It

Vanna White joined Katie Couric on Katie’s show this week to talk about her love of crochet, working with Lion Brand, and our $1 million donation to St. Jude Children’s Hospital. She even shows Katie how to single crochet!

If you missed the segment, watch it below:

If you’re viewing this blog post in your e-mail or an RSS reader, you may need to click on the title of the blog post to view it online and see the videos.

css.php